7.13.2010

"Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year...

...but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared." - Jack Handey

Wow, what a week and a half it has been. We're only a day into the new team week (our 4th of the summer) and it already feels like Camp High Rock was ages ago. But, no. Just a few days ago we were just packing up after a week of the joys and trials that come with camp. Only a few days have passed since, but in Rez time that seems like an eternity!

It truly was a wonderful time with all the campers up at Camp High Rock. I don't know if this is a sign that we at Sacred Road might be working too much (heh heh)...but for myself, working as a camp counselor was actually quite a break. I would hate to use the word "vacation" as that implies lounging about with fancy coconut drinks by the pool, but last week was certainly not a burden. Not only was it lovely to spend the time up in the mountains, with the fresh scent of evergreen in the air, but the time spent with our campers was wonderful. We female interns spent much of our time with the highschool girls; it was such a treat to get to know all the girls, but especially those who are from the Yakama area.

By Friday, after only five days with the campers, I had almost forgotten what life was like outside Camp High Rock...moving from one close community to another was fairly seamless. (Of course, it helped that half of the Sacred Road team came along as counselors. :)

It was encouraging to have a whole week to walk alongside all the campers...by the end of it I was left with wanting more time with these precious children and teens to hear their stories and share more about God's promises for their lives. For many, camp is a break from an uncomfortable home-life and a chance to experience a different kind of community and friendship.

Now, back from camp, I hope that conversations that were started may be finished in the weeks to come...though the likelihood that I'll see many of them again isn't high. But, though I cannot be a part of these children and teen's lives any longer, I do know of someone who can...and can do a much better job than I ever could. :)

Friends, thank you so much for all your encouragement and support; I feel I don't say it enough! Though this summer has been incredibly draining and tiring at times, it has been such a blessing to witness all that God is doing here on the reservation. I look forward to sharing more in these last few weeks of the season.

On that note, I must sign off for now. But, before I go, I want to plug our latest team video, posted on Sacred Road's youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/SacredRoad#p/u/5/y1RRlfA2M5s

Alrighty friends, thank you and may you have a blessed July!

 Only half of our girls! Go Fireflies! :)

No comments: