9.12.2009

Too Beautiful To Live

To whom it may concern,

Only three blogs in and I'm about to reveal a very kitschy thing about myself. I love talk radio. How much? I chose it over music (which of course I love). Back home, KIRO (97.3) would most likely be streaming from my computer, car radio, or my little hand-held for places I could not take my computer comfortably. I have yet to discover a STL replacement, thus have been consistently streaming KIRO in my little room.

However, even if I manage to find a STL station that rivals the excellence that is KIRO, I will not forgo my first love. It's a security blanket of sorts, enabling me to not lose contact with what ticks in Washington. Yes, I have been following the Kent teacher's strike (so not awesome), Ron and Don's new t-shirt design (rather boring), and even "Gardening with Ciscoe" (oh so awesome). (Note: did you know my dad knows Ciscoe? My claim to fame.)

However, yesterday marked a significant loss to my talk radio life. The best show to ever make it to the airwaves, TBTL (Too Beautiful To Live, for you non-acronymers), has been booted from KIRO's lineup. I waited until today to write anything about it considering yesterday marked something much more devastating than my losing a radio show. TBTL would be the first to say that their move to a podcast should never be compared to 9/11...it's simply an odd coincidence that their last show was yesterday of all days.

For those who have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, I highly suggest you check out TBTL here. Newbies be warned, TBTL is like a fine wine, getting better with age. If your taste in TV shows consists of Seinfield, The Office, or Arrested Development then you will most certainly "get" TBTL. You are in for a treat. It was (and is!) a breath of sublime fresh air amidst the rest of "serious" or "real" life. TBTL dwells on what really matters, despite how inane it might be. This is a much more eloquent blog on why TBTL matters.

If the remembrance of 9/11 is still bogging you down, or just life in general, I suggest you make TBTL's podcast a regular part of your day. Everyone needs a little self-deprecation humor, chats about nothing (yet, everything), and bands such as Hey Marseilles all the time.

Rawr,

Joelle

No comments: