9.06.2009

Soggy seminary...

To whom it may concern,

Seminary Sundays are the the pits. Ok ok. I retract that statement. The seminary Sunday that was today was pretty miserable (better?)...but it shouldn't have been. After a rather successful visit to The Kirk with some new buddies, a free lunch sitting on the burgundy carpet outside the packed gym, and some laughs on the way home, this Sunday was looking like something wonderful. But after a rest in my lovely white-walled room (I’m in desperate need of photo frames) I awoke to a downpour outside. Rain. Missouri Rain.

In theory I don't have a thing against Missouri rain. The air is warm though fat sheets of rain are ferociously hitting the pavement. The constant hum of crickets is silenced for a time…I can imagine each little buggy is hunkered under a leafy umbrella thankful for the rest to his legs. (They’re at it again tonight btw…the rest did them good apparently.) And when lightning slashes through the sky I can only watch in apprehensive wonder (after giving up on a good photo for the 100th time).

But Missouri rain is not Puget-Sound rain. It’s not batting against the eucalyptus tree against the house…or tinged with the salt of the Sound…or ruefully reminding me that summer is nearing the end. It even smells different after a hard rain. Instead of the scent of freshly clean dirt I catch a wiff of…warm moisture, ha.

Different is usually not a negative. I know this. But today the difference matters. Tomorrow it most likely won’t. I’ll be over it by then.

Actually, I'm getting over it now. I have to, for I've been meaning to write on something a little more important than my rain snobbery. Today marks my third perusing of a STL church and as I hinted last week I’m enjoying the search (despite today’s morose mournings). I’d like to modify my wording though…instead of a search (it's not a church chase afterall), I’d rather view it as a time of observation, a time to grow in maturity and faith, and a time to worship with a new sort of freedom. I'm free to observe the Lord's work from New City-South City to The Kirk and how that is manifested in song, word, and prayer. I'm free to fellowship with complete strangers, yet we're bound by the blood of Christ. And I'm free to look past "worship styles" or sermon topics or communion methods and simple say "here I am Lord. Comfort me. Teach me. Mold me."

Already the Lord has reminded in these three Sundays that it's not in a church that I will find solid footing. It's not the in seminary. It's not "fitting in." It's not getting over the minute differences between Missouri or Washington rain. It's in his Word, his Life, and his Fellowship that I can only find a sure foundation. To borrow from a favorite hymn of mind: "In Christ along my hope is found. He is my light, my strength, my song..."

Amen? Amen. :)

What do you think? How have you found solace in a particuarily soggy day?

Looking forward to your thoughts, Whom.

Sincerely,

 - Joelle

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joelle, nice blog. Wow, I can't say that I'm dealing with the rain over here, but searching for a church definitely hits close to home. And I, for one, do find it somewhat painful. But one thing that I believe God has been teaching me over the last few weeks is the meaning and importance of the 'word' and 'sacrament' -- both things I've recognized theoretically, but only now have come to appreciate more existentially or experientially. So, I say that (having noticed your comments about church involving word, song, and prayer, and about growing through the scriptures) and I encourage you to look for Christ in the 'proclaimed word' and in the sacrament (lord's supper). Contemporary evangelicalism doesn't understand this at all... I think much of 'reformedism' might not understand this either. And yet it is Christ's instituted means by which we are to grow. It's quite sad to see how people don't realize this -- lay people, and pastors -- the church in general. And yet historically (and confessionally) the Church has recognized the importance of the word and sacrament. Anyway, some thoughts. Hope you're doing well. Happy studies.

joelle said...

Those two elements, word and sacrement, have been such a blessing to me these last few Sundays. Yesterday in particular the pastor spent some time reiterating the impact of communion. That it is not by church, citizenship, race, gender (etc.) that we can come to the table but only by the blood of Christ. Excellent reminder for myself yesterday. :)
Good thoughts Brenden! Thanks and same to you! :)

Sara said...

1) "In Christ Alone" is one of my all-time favorite songs - bet you didn't know that, lady.

2) It took me longer than acceptable to figure out that STL stand for St. Louis.

3) I hesitate to comment after Brenden - that's some impressive stuff.

4) I love you and am rooting for you as always.

joelle said...

1) Actually I did know that...I'm just that good.

2) Did you have to google it? Hehe.

3) Oh please do. Brenden won't mind, right? :)

4) Likewise. Mwa!